Decyl Glucoside in cosmetic skin care offers the following benefits
- good foaming power
- compatible with all surfactant systems
- tolerant of high electrolyte formulations ( eg. Aloe Vera)
- compatible with a number of cationic conditioning agents
- mild but effective cleansing
- improves skin tolerance of the formulation
- maintains skin balance without dryness
Derived from sugar these surfactants are readily bio-degradable, extremely mild and perform well in hard water conditions together with a very low toxicity.
Decyl glucoside exhibits all of the mildness traits of nonionics, with the foam of an anionic. It is this unique characteristic that enables it to be utilized as both a primary and co-surfactant in formulations. Several clinical skin irritancy tests show decyl glucoside to be non irritating, even at high concentrations with an extended contact period of 24 hours.
Many formulators with a natural focus are now turning to decyl glucoside as their primary, and in some cases their only, surfactant. It is so mild that it doesn't require blending with any of the mildness additives.
Polyglycose (decyl glucoside) is considered to be part of a new generation of surfactants. In Europe, which have one of the strictest cosmetic regulations in place under the EU Cosmetics Directive, the demand for this alkyl polyglucosides has increased enormously.
Name: Polyglycose, AlkylPolyglucoside, APG, Decyl Glucoside
INCI: Decyl glucoside
||Octyl-Decyl Glucoside/ C8-10 fatty alcohol glucoside
||Light yellow liquid
|Active Substance (wt%)
|pH (25℃,20% in 15% isopropanol)
|Viscosity mPas (25 C)
|Free fatty alcohol
*) need pH strips or pH meter to neutralise/adjust in formulation
- amber viscous liquid
- characteristic surfactant odour
- water soluble
- store away from direct cold, in tightly closed containers
- solidifies below 15 degrees Celsius but becomes liquid again upon heating.
Due to temperature fluctuations during shipping, if it has become solid simply place your bottle in a warm water bath to liquify.
Storage: Store in cool and dry place. Keep away from direct strong light and heat